STOP WHINING (Viraj makes a political post)

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A lot of people assume that I’m a diehard Obama fan. I’m not. I don’t dislike him by any means- I just don’t consider myself to be someone who was extremely passionate about seeing him get the Democratic nomination.

I don’t think it relevant to discuss each candidate here- the decision has been made it is Barack Obama will be representing the Democratic Party in the presidential election.

Regardless, I still admire Clinton for her passion towards the race and her grace until the end- being willing to accept the VP position shows her dedication not only to the Democratic party but also shows how much she truly cares about this country- I find that inspirational. It’s just sad that someone had to lose, in the end….not that the decision wasn’t long overdue.

But what’s even sadder is the public reaction to Obama winning. Instead of being happy that this whole ordeal is over and that now the Democratic party can unite behind a (very strong) candidate, there have been countless articles denouncing Obama from within the Democratic party itself.

I understand being hurt, but for those of you who identify with the Democratic party, I ask you to consider this: if Clinton is willing to accept a VP spot for the sake of the party and for the country, who are you to denounce what she stands for too?

I almost wasn’t going to comment on this whole “This just proves that the United States is sexist” comment, but…I feel like I need to. To say that the reason Clinton lost because she’s a woman is insulting not only to this country, and the voters, but also to her. Also, I can’t believe how incredulous people are that, in the race of “white woman vs. black man”, the black man won. That’s fucking racist. I’m talking to you, Geraldine Ferraro. To insinuate that Clinton's woman-ness is the reason she lost is a sexist belief in and of itself and it’s a cheap way to pout post-election. Anyone reading this, you damn well know that if Obama lost, everyone would be whining and bitching about the US being racist. If that was the case, this entry would probably be a long entry entitled “I Don’t Care That He’s Indian- Bobby Jindal Sucks and Should Never Have Been Elected And I Can’t Believe He’s A Serious Candidate For Vice-Presidency”.

But I digress.

She lost because her campaign wasn’t strong enough. Plain and simple. People chose not to vote for her because they didn’t agree with her policies and because Obama, according to the people, was a stronger candidate. Now, I’m not naïve- I’m sure her vagina deterred a few people from voting, but I’m also willing to bet that Obama’s skin tone was a bigger battle to face. And if you think that his nomination proves that America has no racism, you're delusional.

I’ve said all I’ve needed to say. I’m angry, disappointed, and extremely frustrated with everything I’ve been reading and witnessing for the past 24 hours concerning the end of this ridiculous primary. Folks- it’s just the primary. Nobody is going to remember this….focus your attention on the actual election now. Clinton is going to formally concede in the next 48 hours. Do a favor for yourself- when you decide which candidate to support, make sure it’s a well informed decision and not a vote of spite.

Not that your vote matters in Chicago anyway.

Posted by Viraj at 9:58 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment