Ranjit Bhagwat is a Cool Guy.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

love the 'book.

April 29 at 10:46am
Uhh so like we haven't really ever talked, but I noticed your status right now reads "it's sad that hindus need to insist to the world we're monotheistic"...it got me thinking.

i'll preface with saying that I know I'm not the most knowledgeable person about the faith I identify with, so please call me out on anything I say...

on one hand, i completely agree with you. the fact that hindus get defensive and need to proclaim the faith as monotheistic in order to feel accepted by mainstream society is definitely disturbing.

But...is it wrong? Don't Hindus just believe in one God and that He is manifested in many ways? So, couldnt it be that the people who are so insistent on Hinduism being seen as monotheistic are just fighting against the perception of mainstream society concerning the religion? Isn't it about education?

Of course, I suppose it depends on whether or not you agree with the assertion that Hindus believe that the manifestations of Brahma are multiple Gods or, essentially, the one same God.

Just some thoughts :)
April 29 at 11:35am
hey thanks for emailing... so starting toward the end of the 19th century, there have been a number of Hindu reform movements that have sought to do some good things. A lot of them tried to work on the caste system and women's rights, for instance. However, they also decided to promote a monotheistic vision of Hinduism. The truth is that there is a *form* of Hinduism - "sanatana dharma" - based on scripture that does indeed believe in one god with many forms. However, this is not the only form of Hinduism. There are also indigenous and regional beliefs that absolutely do not believe in one god, but rather many. in fact, one can also be an atheist and still be Hindu.

I think that the overwhelming emphasis on monotheism is an artifact of European colonialism, which (moreso than any other conflict) really devalued the cultures of India and taught us that polytheism (for those of us who were polytheists) is somehow primitive and uncivilized.

To me, the beauty of Hinduism is that it's *not* like Western religions that demand that we worship in one way, but rather allows us to have an anarchy of beliefs depending on our context. yes, one can be a monotheistic Hindu, but many Hindus really do believe in many gods. we are not a scripture-based religion, but rather an assortment of multiple, related religious practices.

I'm not saying it's wrong, per se, but I do find it to be an unfortunate misperception that depresses me. Why are we so intent on telling the world that we're civilized monotheists? there's no inherent value in monotheism and, in my opinion, no need to construct an exclusively monotheistic Hinduism...
April 29 at 8:01pm
thanks for your thoughts, friend :) I totally agree with you on so many of the points you made, especially about constructing a "civilized" Hinduism.

Did you know that a lot of Hindu Mandirs in the US now commonly refer to themselves as churches? I dont like that.

I wonder how Hinduism is described/taught in India. I suppose people there probably don't think about it since the need to defend/explain it doesn't arise as much.

This was a really disjointed message...sorry :/
April 29 at 8:08pm
really? churches?!?! that's weird.

from what I know there's a huge Hindu revivalist/fundamentalist movement in India, especially in Maharashtra (where my family's from) and Gujarat. Actually it's all over the place. I have serious beef with this entire movement, but I'll save that rant for another day. I guess in "normal" Hindu families they probably don't need to teach it, but rather just follow family traditions and so forth. Things are so much more complicated in India, though...

Posted by Viraj at 11:53 AM  
1 comments
AD said...

Hey Viraj!

MUCHOS CONGRATS on getting the OCA internship! And NAACP! That is too cool.

And that's a fascinating conversation you've posted. I, in my atheistic/Hindu blend, have felt the 'need' to assert Hinduism = monotheistic.

Incidentally, I interviewed with a nonprofit last week, and my religious background came up as a question (it made sense in the interview context). I said that I grew up Hindu, upon which he asked me if I was still a 'practicing Hindu'.

That kind of baffled me: there's only a gazillion ways to 'practice' Hinduism. I also consider myself atheist. I ended up responding along the lines of "well, I haven't abandoned it..?"

Thanks for posting your blog on fb, and getting me thinking! I look fwd to reading more about your experiences in DC!

-Aaditi

May 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment